- What or who inspired you to go into your line of work?
When I was a kid we lived very near to Stratford on Avon so I went a few times with mum and dad; then we moved to Surrey and I joined the local youth acting group, but it wasn't till I was about 12 when I went to see Jesus Christ Superstar that I thought "wow, this is what I want to do!" I was completely blown away by JCS; it was such a magnificent production, the music was amazing and it turned out to be the event that changed my life! From then on I was hooked on musical theatre, did loads of acting at school and as soon as I left I went to drama school.
- When you're not busy working hard, what's your favourite thing to do?
Sleeping! And cooking – I love cooking. Before I started the radio show (BBC Radio 2 Michael Ball's Sunday Brunch) I used to cook Sunday lunch for family and friends. Now I do it in the evening. There's nothing more satisfying than producing a huge roast with all the trimmings; I'm a big fan of organic food and I like to buy all my meat and vegetables from the local shops. I also love walking the dogs... we go to the nearby park where they've been known to chase deer and end up in the pond...
- What three things can't you live without?
My iPad – love it! I do all my emails on it, download music, books, films and now it never leaves my side. My passport because you never know... And moisturiser – I've worn SO much stage makeup in my time, if I didn't cleanse and moisturise I'd have the skin of a rhino.
- What makes you different from other artists?
I'm prepared to take risks in the fields of entertainment such as host a radio show, record a new album, perform in Sweeney Todd, host my own TV chat show - unlike a lot of actors I'm as comfortable being myself in public as I am being a character.
- Apart from your home and car, what's the most expensive thing you've ever bought?
Probably my Cartier watch.
- What one thing can't you do that you'd like to be able to?
- If you could change your first name, what would you change it to?
I wouldn't, I'm quite happy with my name.
- What one talent or skill do you have that not many people know about?
The little talent I have I shout about from the highest mountain!
- Are biscuits better than cake?
Tough question – I do like a blueberry muffin though...
- If you were to describe your work in three words, what would they be?
I love it.